Vegan/Vegetarian and Gluten-free. This easy curry chickpea dish is made without coconut so it’s perfect for someone who has an allergy or is wishing to lower the calories of a classic curry dish without loosing the flavor.
I paired the chickpeas with roasted red potatoes and roasted root vegetables. But it would be lovely served with rice and a side salad or with naan bread and raw veggies. It was a huge hit at my dinner table and I hope it is at yours as well.
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of dried cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 cans of chickpeas (16-oz. can; drain and rinse before using)
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and stir frequently until the onion is translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the chickpeas, which are drained, and stir.
- Add the turmeric, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, curry powder, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Stir to coat all the chickpeas.
- Add the almond milk and cherry tomatoes, stir well. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot, with roasted potatoes and veggies or over rice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 8 people